Seeking treatment for alcohol abuse can be an intimidating process. It shouldn’t be.
The medical establishment characterizes addiction as a disease. We don’t feel ashamed to seek treatment for diabetes or heart disease. Why should alcohol abuse be any different?
The National Institute on Drug Abuse recommends that individuals shopping around for addiction treatment, for either alcohol or drug abuse, ask the following five questions to potential treatment providers:
- Does the program use treatments backed by scientific evidence?
- Does the program tailor treatment to the needs of individual clients?
- Does the program adapt as the client’s needs change?
- Is the duration of the treatment sufficient?
- How do twelve-step or other recovery programs fit into drug addiction treatment?